Monday, June 24, 2013

Ingrid Stengard: Looking forward to the World Championships



Ingrid Stengard was one of the athletes present in the European MTB orienteering Championships, in Poland, who agreed to share their opinion about the event. A short Interview with the Sprint and Middle Distance's bronze medalist, and also winner of the Relay with the Finnish team.


I would like to have your opinion about the European MTB orienteering Championships this year, in Poland?

Ingrid Stengard (I. S.) - There are a lot to say about the event, especially when we're talking about the organization, but I think it’s better to try to be constructive rather than just pointing out negative things. When nobody seems to want to organize MTB orienteering races, we need to help those who still try. I think one of the main problems now, in Poland, was that there were not enough people in the organizing committee. Things were not checked and double checked and many things were done in the very last minute or not at all, hoping that “it works even without”. It’s a shame, because the terrain was good (we can’t complain if it has been raining a lot) and also the courses were good and challenging, but due to organizers mistakes, not so good maps, lack in safety, overprice on accommodation and food, etc., the overall opinion about the Championships easily becomes negative. In the end, I don’t think that would be necessary to do much more to making things work better if focus on the right things.


Despite this...

I. S. - Despite of the problems - or maybe due to them - I felt that the atmosphere among the racers were very close and friendly. It felt like the athletes were going to have fun and make good races, no matter what the organization comes up with.


And what about your races? Did you expect these results?

I. S. - I think that my results were much better than the races should have allowed for. I made quite a few small mistakes in all races, but when everybody seemed to make mistakes, the question is more about not making big ones. In the route planning way, it helped that in Finland we are also allowed to ride anywhere and used to think about shortcutting options. So I’m satisfied with my start of this year’s World Cup and looking forward to the World Championships, in Estonia.

Joaquim Margarido

No comments:

Post a Comment